Friday, November 25, 2011

Coastal for Rochelle, Pastel, 16" x 20", painted on Canson paper

© by Christine DiMauro, all rights reserved.

Coastal for Rochelle was a commission I painted for someone about 17 years ago.  The request was to paint a still life using this wine bottle the label said "Coastal"), having it reflected into a wine glass,  and having it sitting on a wood table.  Anything else I added was fine, but the painting had to have those elements.  I added the pear, rose, and the reflections into the table.  It's hard to see in this photo, but the wine bottle is reflected into the glass, some tricky setting-up of the still life was necessary.  Rochelle was the person this painting was being given to, thus the title.

The reason for the specific items was that the couple, when on their honeymoon, saw a painting with those elements in it.  They couldn't afford the painting, and when they came home they found me and asked if I could do it for them.  Of course I said yes, and of course I made it affordable for them.  How could I not?  I'm a sucker for a great honeymoon memory.....

No comments: