Monday, September 30, 2013

Summer Light, Pastel, 17" x 11 1/2", Painted on Wallis Pro

I know it's been a while since I've posted a painting and I apologize.  I've been working on this one for a few weeks, and I think I am done.  I don't do many floral paintings, but this one caught my eye because of the light.  My goal was to both capture the light and paint loosely.  I believe when there are masses of flowers to paint it lends itself to a looser approach.

I started out with a Pan Pastel underpainting, sprayed it with Spectrafix fixative, and then went in with the sticks.

First is the finished painting:

© by Christine DiMauro, all rights reserved.
Here is the underpainting:

© by Christine DiMauro, all rights reserved.
As you can see I ended up extending the bottom of the painting to show more bricks.  That wasn't the plan, it just turned out that way.  I tried to let some of the underpainting show through and it does, though not everywhere. 
Here is a step mid way through the process:

© by Christine DiMauro, all rights reserved.