Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Going for a Ride - Vanessa and Blackie, Pastel, 16" x 24", painted on Wallis sanded paper

© by Christine DiMauro, all rights reserved.

Blackie was a cat that I painted for a client back in 2000.  The client contacted me in 2008 and asked me to do another painting for him.  This time he wanted me to paint his daughter that was now 6 years old, along with Blackie.  He had no photos of the two of them together, and Blackie had passed away.  There was no way I could sit them down for a photo-op.  What he really wanted was a portrait of his daughter at the age she was when Blackie was still alive.  He had this photo of her (at about the right age) riding a toy, and I added Blackie on her lap as if he were going for a ride with her.  It was a challenge, as I had to make his pose believable with no real reference to work from.  Thankfully, the client was thrilled with the results.

No comments: