Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Fruit Salad, Pastel, 14" x 23", painted on Canson paper

© by Christine DiMauro, all rights reserved.

Another oldie but a goodie that goes back to 1996.  This is painted on Canson paper, I believe I used the paper color as the background.  This was more of an evolution, starting with the grapes coming out of the wood bowl.  The whole setup was not on the table, just the grapes and bowl (the bowl was leaning on a kneaded erasure so it would stay tilted - no bananas yet).  I looked at it and thought it was okay, so maybe I'll add a couple of bananas, in they went.  I then thought it needed some height, so I added the jug.  More balance was needed, so the melon was added with the cherries.  Then I wanted more red, so the apple and strawberries were added.  Believe it or not, the fabric was done last, I don't know what I was thinking (I wasn't thinking, I was just painting).  I know I had to replace the fruit along the way, I do remember this took a while to paint.  Those are the perils of painting from life, your subject starts to rot pretty quickly, and I didn't paint fast in those days.  I'm still not a speedy painter, but I'm faster than I was back then.  This painting won a First Place Ribbon in a local show.  I really feel like I'm walking down Memory Lane right now!

No comments: