Monday, February 24, 2014

First Snow, 2 3/4" x 10 1/2", Pastel painted on UArt 500 sanded paper

One of my teeny tiny paintings..... I was showing a student how I would do a watercolor underpainting on UArt... paper, just toning the paper actually. I used a small scrap of paper, and for some reason the colors spoke to me, so I thought I would try a sketch.

For reference, I used a small gouache sketch I did a while ago from a photo I took at Sunken Meadow State Park a few years back. I'd always wanted to do something larger, lol.... this isn't larger, it's about the same size... I guess my next step will be to go larger, I kind of like the color palette, something different.


First the pastel:

© by Christine DiMauro, all rights reserved
 
Now the underpainting:
 
© by Christine DiMauro, all rights reserved
 
And here is the gouache painting:
 
© by Christine DiMauro, all rights reserved
 

2 comments:

Observe Closely said...

Excellent progression from gouache (was it small too?) to inspired underpainting to finished pastel. I really enjoyed looking at all three on my screen at once, back and forth among them. Great work! Thanks for sharing.
Jan

Christine DiMauro said...

Thank you Jan. Funnily enough the gouache was about the same size. I always wanted to go larger with this one, but the scrap of paper I used to demo my watercolor technique for underpainting was small, about the same size as the gouache. I still want to do this one larger...and I will. It is interesting to look at all thre together, even for me. Thanks for stopping by and commenting, much appreciated.