Sunday, May 6, 2012

Lost in Thought, workshop sketch cropped, painted using Girault pastels on Canson paper

I came across this old workshop sketch that I did quite some time ago.  This was done in about an hour, which is why it has that unfinished look.  I thought I would share it here because for some reason it was and still is a favorite of mine.  I cropped it to a square format because there was something going on that I didn't like, yet I was pleased with the bold colors I used in the skin tones.  I know it seems a bit "out there" with regard to the colors, yet for me it somehow works.  The photo is a bit fuzzy, I may try to take it again to get a clearer shot (This will require some digging through my old sketches, though I'm sure it's in there somewhere!)  The square format seems to work as a "save", though IRL I didn't crop it yet.  I just might though, it looks interesting this way.

© by Christine DiMauro, all rights reserved.

2 comments:

Doug Wasilieff said...

Hey, Chris. I don't think the colors are "out there." I think they really work and the unfinished parts help give it a mood. Interesting how after time, you look at it with fresh eyes and decide it looks better in a square format. I think it looks great.

Christine DiMauro said...

Thanks Doug. I've always liked this one, and I was trying to figure out a way to make it work better. I would never think to paint a portrait from life in this type of format, but when I crop it I do like it. There is a lot to be said for working on paper, you always have that option!