Tuesday, February 7, 2012

What's Above the Koi, 8 1/2" x 8 1/2", Pastel painted on Wallis sanded paper

© by Christine DiMauro, all rights reserved.

This is the fifth painting I've done of Puglisi Vineyards and I think I could do a few more.  Such a beautiful spot, I think the day I was there the atmosphere was infused with light and a sense of calm.  I can still remember how it felt while walking, listening to the birds and just enjoying the quiet.  Who knew a vineyard could be so special?  I'm almost afraid to go back for fear it won't be as beautiful as it was for me that day.

This pond is filled, and I mean filled with koi fish.  They are huge and just beautiful to watch as they swim around.  The pond is full of life, this must be the perfect place for them to thrive, hence, the name of the painting.

I discovered just how much I love Ludwig pastels when painting this.  For me, Ludwigs are perfect for painting landscapes, and this one in particular seemed to scream "Ludwig" at me.  The colors are georgous, and their texture are perfect for landscapes.  The square shape is a dream, I love the edges, so useful for trees and branches.  Great for architecture too, though not in this one.

No comments: